About this Blog

This is the Blog of Live Project 11 - Shelter Library, a live project undertaken during autumn 2008 by MArch Students from Sheffield School of Architecture.

Shelter Library is the key information resource for the humanitarian shelter sector. Shelter Centre the client for this Live Project are an International NGO based in Geneva. They work to support communities impacted by conflicts and natural disasters by serving collaboration and consensus in the humanitarian shelter sector.

Our project wrapped in late November 2008 the work of shelter centre continues however as does the Live Project Programme at SSoA, for further information please follow the links.

We hope you enjoy, play safe now

9 Oct 2008

About the Team Members

Cathrine Allison
6th Year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (M.Arch); Graduate from Oxford Brookes (RIBA Part 1) and ETSAB exchange (Barcelona).
Most of my work experience has been conservation, residential and green-eco-type visitor centres in Scotland. I have also participated in and fund-raised for a recent Voluntary Design and Build Project in Romania.


Laura Cinnamond Collins
5th Year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (M.Arch); Graduate from the Mackintosh School of Architecture, Glasgow School of Art (RIBA Part 1)
I have undertaken work placements in practices in Belfast (Todd Architects, Hamilton Architects, Hall Black and Douglas Architects), Belgrade (MIT Arcitects) and Paris (Edouard Francois, Jean Nouvel) across a range of private and public sector projects. My interest in the development sector and the work by Shelter Centre stems from my volunteer work with School Aid Romania and Asha India during my school years, and current volunteer work for Article 25.


Sarah Considine
6th year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (MArch); Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1).
I have two years work experience prodominately in working in the housing, community and education sectors, on both small-scale, self-run and large-scale, team-orientated projects. I also have relevant voluntary design experience with Crisis (through Architecture for Humanity UK) for their Open Christmas programme, and research experience with a former Live Project ‘Darfur Shelter’ with Article 25 in which the feasibilty of using urine in mud brick construction was tested.


Lorenzo Dwyer
6th year at Sheffield University (MArch); Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1)
My life is currently interspersed between attending University here in Sheffield, employment in London and the occasional dip in the sea off the South Wales coastline (the latter I cannot do without). I am to begin my post-university architectural life in London next year working on schools and educational projects. I am a keen traveller and have travelled extensively within Europe, often staying with friends who I met as a student at the United World College of the Atlantic in Wales.
I am excited at the prospects of working with the Shelter Centre team in helping to develop the Shelter Library during this year’s Live Project.


Sarah Foxwell
6th Year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (M.Arch);
Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1).
I have worked for Chetwoods Architects in Leeds during my year out in practice.
I have volunteered for Voluntary Design and Build in Romania during Summer 2007, and was involved with the Romania NGO Better Homes through my 5th year Live Project at Sheffield.


Molly Gray
6th Year Architecture and Town and Regional Planning Student at Sheffield University; Graduate in from Cardiff University (RIBA Part 1).
I have work experience in planning policy (work in development control office Sheffield City Council); in architectural practice (London offices public and private sector); and in volunteer work (Arcosanti, Urban Laboratory, Arizona)


Sarah Hunt
6th Year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (M.Arch)
Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1).
I have worked at Arup Associates, London (2005-2006) and Bing Thorn Architects, Vancouver (2006-2007) as an Intern Architect. I have relevant building experience through work on the ‘Space of Waste' timber pavilion, Sheffield CIty Centre (2007) http://02liveproject07.wordpress.com/


Anthony McMahon
6th year at Sheffield University (MArch); Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1).
My experience of architecture draws on studies at both Sheffield School of Architecture and The Bartlett [UCL] and from activities in practices in London and research trips to North America, Central Europe and Central Asia. Until my involvement in the Romania live project last year my experience of humanitarian work was nil. This project enlightened me, however, to the tensions present in design projects that operate across both international and cultural margins which, remain as a source of fascination to me.


Judith Ng
6th Year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (M.Arch); Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1).
I worked in Terry Farrell and Partners’ London office during my year out in practice. I have worked on a range of private business and residential towers as well as urban master-planning projects.


Tom Rooksby
6th Year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (MArch);
Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1)
I have worked at BDP Manchester (2005-2006) as a Part 1 Architectural Assistant and currently work part-time for BDP Sheffield (2006-present).


Juliet Sakyi-Ansah
5th Year Architecture Student at Sheffield University (MArch); Graduate from Sheffield University (RIBA Part 1).
I based my placement period in the city of Bristol, U.K where I worked for a medium-sized practice and later with a relatively smaller office for variation. My involvement in the Shelter Library Live Project reflects my interest in aid work and humanitarian outlook. I aim to be as well-informed as possible where aid work bridges the built environment; for personal reflections and for referencing through my academic and professional life.

No comments: